Thursday, March 7, 2019

Castle Roche - watercolor

watercolor, 2018
available, 11"x15"

      Castle Roche is a 13th century castle in County Louth, Ireland. 

      Painting so many landscapes - especially of Ireland - has forced me to come to terms with my issues with green. I think I'm getting somewhere; at least, I'm seeing more natural greens. I'm especially happy with how the modeling worked out here showing the undulations of the ground. 

      The tree and some of the rocks are done with a technique often called dry-brush using paint almost directly from the tube with little or no water on the brush. This allows the normally transparent paint to be opaque so I can paint light over dark and build texture.

16 comments:

  1. I love the way you captured the light and shadows. It brings this painting alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like Ireland to inspire green. This is lovely. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, stunning
    have a good weekend John

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful watercolour study.
    Happy PPF Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. The play of light and shadow is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely painting! I love Ireland and made an Ireland inspired crochet blanket last year with lots of greens. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete